It’s a new year, with new opportunities and new threats. How will you ensure your fire is re-ignited after holiday absence and customers returning?
(1) Quickly re-immerse yourself into effective routines. You may have been out for a bit, you may have gone away from your routines in the way of health and exercise and maintenance. There’s no better way to ensure you can step back into your selling shoes than following through on the mechanics that have led to past success – in all areas. Get back into that morning workout routine, grab that coffee and get to work. Surround yourself with the silence or scenery that is conducive to work and get to it. The sooner you are back in the arena you are comfortable with performing in, the sooner your processes and results kick back in.
(2) Prioritize scheduling of customer and team meetings. Everyone is as refreshed as they are going to be. Hit the ground running and get to the top of January e-mail inboxes as you attempt to get on calendars that may be relatively empty but will fill up fast. Be the early bird, and etch out your place on their calendar as customers look to spend new budget.
(3) Put pipeline honesty into effect. No better time to flush cold, dead opportunities and leads than the new quarter and year. It’s a cleansing, in essence, as you can take time to true up your funnel and prioritize the leads and deals you are going to be putting the full court press on to come out of the gates swinging.
(4) Don’t stress over a number; focus on process. The scoreboard is back to zero. You may get a momentary pat on the back for 2018, but it’s time to sell again. That big quota can be scary – especially when you’re going to be asked to top last year’s performance. Don’t think about the number. Focus on the new promotions, the tools, the proper selling motions that you need to put in place to prospect, pitch and perform.
(5) Put a concerted effort into coming out of the gates firing on all cylinders. Shake off any dust that settled over holidays or as you sandbagged for a new year or as you rested well above 2018 goal. This is the moment you’ve been storing your energy and re-charging your batteries for. The more focused you are out of the chute, the more effective you are at getting back into the swing and engaging your team and customers better than ever before, the higher the probability your sales processes will start working quickly. The more quickly your processes are in motion and producing, the more quickly results will be realized. From there, momentum will carry you into what will be a successful 2019.
Carson V. Heady has written a book entitled “Birth of a Salesman” and sequels “The Salesman Against the World” and “A Salesman Forever” which take the unique approach of serving as sales/leadership books inside of novels showing proven sales principles designed to birth you into the top producer you were born to be. If you would like to strengthen your sales skills, go to http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ICRVMI2/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_yGXKtb0G
Heady posts for “Consult Carson” serving as the “Dear Abby” of sales and sales leadership. You may post any question that puzzles you regarding sales and sales leadership careers: interviewing, the sales process, advancing and achieving.
Question submissions can be made via LinkedIn to Carson V. Heady, this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carson-V-Heady/125078150858064?ref=hl , Twitter via @cvheady007 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may post an anonymous comment as a reply to my WordPress blog at the bottom of this page: https://carsonvheady.wordpress.com/the-home-of-birth-of-a-salesman-2010-published-by-world-audience-inc-and-the-salesman-against-the-world-2014/